Friday, November 16, 2012

Identity Reflection


 

 

 

 

 

 

Identity Reflection

Donna Crawford

COM-40164

November 17, 2012

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Certain situations that I have experienced have made me conscious of two particular identities. One of these identities is that of a single White mother of a biracial (Black and White) seventeen year old son (Cameron). I was actually a single mother to him since he was six, but as he has grown older and has experienced an identity crisis, I have become more conscious of how my role as his White mother affects him. The other identity that I became conscious of, over twenty years ago is that of a woman business owner. Situations such as applying for business loans, the struggle to be recognized as an educated business owner, and gaining the respect and trust of potential customers have made me conscious of this identity.

            Cameron’s biracial experience was similar to one of the student’s (Maureen’s) experience described by Martin and Nakayama (2011). I am White and Cameron’s father is African American. Cameron attends a mostly White school with many Hispanics and only a few other Black students. The grouping of these students left Cameron feeling confused and depressed because none of the groups accepted him. Cameron felt as though he had to choose to be Black or White, and he chose Black. Once he made this decision, he hid the fact that he had a White mother and he did not want me to attend his events, baseball games, or school activities for fear his new Black friends would realize he had a White mother. This was devastating to me at first. Cameron is now in the stage of self-acceptance and assertion. He is finding a more secure sense of self. Similar to what Martin and Nakayama (2011) explain; he is beginning to embrace both parent’s racial groups and now claims to be “mixed.” Cameron’s identity struggle made me aware that my identity of being his White mother was different than being a mother of a monoracial child. I am now playing an important role in helping develop a healthy biracial identity by providing supportive communication that encourages him to embrace both racial backgrounds (Martin & Nakayama, 2011). I am also more aware that I can help him cope with prejudice and discrimination by giving the correct advice when he faces these situations.

            My identity as a women business owner has changed over my 22 years of operation. Even though today in the United States women find a much wider range of business opportunities, a few decades ago men tended to hold most of the positions of authority and women were expected to play a more subservient role (Thill & Bovee, 2009). Thill and Bovee (2009) provide evidence that men and women tend to have slightly different communication styles, which was recognized when I attempted to express my needs and expectations as a business owner. Whether it was applying for a business loan, negotiating commercial property, or presenting my business plan, I faced many struggles partly because all of my receivers were men and societal norms were not yet on the woman-ownership side. Once I established ownership, it was difficult for my customers to separate my identity of the owner of a dance company from “Ms. Donna” the dance instructor. Many of my customers are still surprised to discover that I am the owner of the company. It is as if they expect Art Linkletter (owner of Art Linkletter Dance Studios, Inc.) to walk in.

            There are both advantages and disadvantages of having these two identities. I feel that the personal advantage is the awareness of the differences in how I perceive myself compared to how others perceive me. Since I have recognized my identity as a mother of a biracial child, I have become more aware of how one can be rejected from groups and how I unknowingly benefitted from the advantage of race privilege. Eisenberg, Goodall, and Tretheway (2010) provide examples of White privileges, such as being rarely asked to speak for the entire race and seeing people who look like me most places I go. My son does not have these privileges. The disadvantage of this identity is not fully knowing how my son or other biracial people feel. I can sympathize and try to understand, but since I am not directly affected, I cannot know how it truly feels.

            The advantage of my woman business owner identity is the development of perseverance and commitment to overcome many barriers. This has made me determined to continuously educate myself in the field of communication. Effective business management will not prosper a company without effective communication skills. I can be “Ms. Donna” and ASDP, LLC. at the same time and work the two identities so they relate to both my students and to my associates as long as I can effectively communicate in both contexts.

            My identities influence the way I communicate with others by having an understanding of differences and perceptions among people. It is easy to communicate with others that have similar identities because you share many of the same beliefs and values. When communicating with people from other identities, I listen more than I speak. By this, I mean it is important to listen to others and to ask questions to avoid misunderstandings. This requires you to develop interpersonal communication skills in order to empathize and understand where the differences developed and how they feel about things. I have learned not to make assumptions and not to ignore the differences. By communicating in this way, we can learn from each other and become more innovative and creative.

            The identities I have written about may exclude me from certain groups or cause others to reject me, but they are interrelated with other identities that make me who I am. In certain situations, I have learned to analyze the circumstances before I act or react. I do not take it personal when others who are not part of my identities disagree or choose not to interact with me because I respect their feelings and I realize that not everybody is educated about culture and identity differences. If they are willing to try to understand why I feel as I do, I try to inform them because recognizing and questioning someone about their differences demonstrates the desire to learn and understand one another.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

References

Eisenberg, E., Goodall, H., Trethewey, A. (2010). Organizational communication:

            Balancing creativity and constraint. (6th ed.). Boston, NY. Bedford/St. Martin’s.

 Martin, J. Nakayama, T. (2011). Experiencing intercultural communication: An introduction. (4th ed).

                New York, NY.: McGraw-Hill.

Thill, J., Bovee, C. (2009). Excellence in business communication. (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ.:

                Prentice Hall.

 

           

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment